Seward Park Housing Amenities:
24-hour, fully equipped, state-of-the-art fitness center · 24-hour attended lobby · 24-hour laundry room · Hardwood floors · Spacious closets · New elevators · Private children’s playroom · Brand new park, including water park for kids · District 1 and 2 schools · Centrally located. Adjacent to F, J, M, Z trains; M9, M14, M22 bus; East Village, Little Italy, Chinatown, bank, post office, shopping, New York Public Libary · Maintenance includes gas, water, and heat.
History of Seward Park Cooperative
In 1930, and again in 1948, the Amalgamated Clothing Workers union (ACW), led by Sidney Hillman and Abraham Kazan, built limited-equity housing corporations on the Lower East Side (Amalgamated Dwellings and Hillman Housing Corporation, respectively), providing approximately 1,000 affordable cooperative apartments for union members and their families.
In the early 1950s the ACW joined forces with other labor unions, including the International Ladies Garment Workers Union (ILGWU), to create the United Housing Foundation (UHF) which built thousands of affordable limited-equity cooperative apartments throughout New York City. The UHF’s first project on the Lower East Side was East River Housing Corporation in 1956, adding nearly 1,700 affordable limited-equity co-op apartments.
Around 1960 the UHF built Seward Park Housing Corporation nearby providing over 1,700 limited-equity cooperative apartments in four buildings. Each of the four buildings consists of three 20-story towers sharing a central lobby. The complex also includes shopping, parking, parks and playgrounds
Seward Park Housing Corporation (now known as Seward Park Cooperative) and the three nearby housing corporations built earlier by the UHF and the ACW, came to be known, collectively, as Co-op Village. Co-op Village stretches along the eastern end of Grand Street from Essex Street all the way to the East River.
Demand for apartments in Co-op Village has always been high and the waiting lists for apartments were very long. As limited equity housing corporations, owners were not able to sell their shares in the corporation to buyers on the open market. Upon leaving the co-op owners sold their shares back to the corporation at no profit. In turn, the corporation sold the shares to the next person on the waiting list – again, at no profit.
Towards the late 1990s the shareholders in all four of the co-ops voted to reorganize and convert from limited-equity to free market. The waiting lists went away and owners were able to sell their shares directly to buyers at market prices.
Today, although prices are no longer artificially capped, Co-op Village apartments continue to be in high demand and offer great value at attractive prices.